topbella

Wednesday 21 December 2011

A Perfect Ten with Elizabeth Hunter!



It's time for my new feature A Perfect Ten, where bloggers talk about their top ten favourite series of all time! Today I am being joined by author Elizabeth Hunter who has picked some more series for us to salivate over. So without further ado I will hand you over to Elizabeth...

To a lifelong bookworm, narrowing down your ten favorite series is pretty difficult! Like a lot of readers, I like series books because I enjoy revisiting characters and worlds that I find compelling. I also like the longer plot arcs you can explore with a series!

In the end, I decided to not just pick my ten favorite, but those that I felt had the most influence on me as a reader and a writer. As I looked over the list, I found a great combination of fantasy, history, science fiction, and mystery, all genres that have contributed to my own novels.

There’s no possible way that I could rank these from favorite to least favorite, so I am listing them in the order that I read them. I hope you enjoy!
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
I think I started this series with my parents reading to me, and I ended reading them for myself. I was a huge Narnia fan, and I still enjoy reading them to this day. Lewis knew how to write for children without writing down to them.


The Little House Books by Laura Ingalls Wilder
My family has been in the United States for hundreds of years, and I remember my great-aunt telling stories about “proving up” homestead land in the Dakotas as a child. These books taught me not just about my country’s frontier history, but my own family history, as well.

The Nancy Drew Mysteries by Carolyn Keene
A classic for any little girl! I devoured these books, and reveled in solving the fantastic mysteries that Nancy solved with her friends. A smart girl’s literary candy.

Kairos Series by Madeleine L'Engle
The series that started with A Wrinkle in Time, the book that introduced me to science fiction blended with fantasy in the most beautiful way. I loved the characters, the family dynamics, and the vastness of the universe L’Engle created.

The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis
An under-read Lewis classic starting with Out of the Silent Planet. These books are another blend of science fiction and fantasy that will sweep you away with their language. I recommend them to any scifi fan.

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien
Though I read The Hobbit as a child, I was in high school before I read the full trilogy. There is nothing I can say about these books that hasn’t been said by other, smarter fantasy fans. The gold standard for high fantasy in my mind.

The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice
The first time I cracked open an Anne Rice novel, I was hooked! Never a horror fan, I was seduced by Lestat. My first vampire love!

Kay Scarpetta Novels by Patricia Cornwell
Before CSI was sexy on TV, Cornwell wrote her brilliant medical examiner/detective Kay Scarpetta in Postmortem. A smart, professional woman who solved crimes not with superpowers, but with her mind, Scarpetta is a must-read for mystery fans.

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
I wasn’t introduced to Harry until my 20s when I was teaching English in middle school. I had to know what all my students were raving about, so I picked up the books. It was love at first delumination.

The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris
The series that brought me back to vampires, it combined fantasy with the quirky Southern fiction I had grown to love when I lived in Texas. This was, quite literally, a life-changing series for me. It was after I read and got involved in the online SVM community that I started blogging and writing my own fiction. Thank you, Ms. Harris!

Thanks to Chrissie for letting me share my Perfect Ten! Hope you might find something in here that you enjoy, too! I’d love to introduce you to a new favorite. For more about my writing, please visit my blog, elizabethhunterwrites.com. I’d love to hear from you!

Thanks for reading,

Elizabeth Hunter

Thanks Elizabeth! I absolutely love the Southern Vampire Mysteries too! And there are a few series there already on my TBR list.

How about you? Have you read any of these series? Will you be adding any to your TBR list? Let Elizabeth and I know what you think!

If you are an author/blogger who would like to take part in this feature then please email me at onceuponaseries [at] live.co.uk.

4 comments:

Sarah@Catching Books said...

This sounds awesome! Next week I will have to participate :)

All the books on your list are amazing! Harry Potter especially :)

Sarah (saz101) said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! Interview! Harry! Sookie! A WRINKLY IN TIME!!!

Oh my word, it really is a perfect ten, huh?

Jenny said...

Man, I'd have a hard time only coming up with 10. There's so many great series out there.

Anonymous said...

@Shelagh Lewis's sci-fi is fantastic! It actually arose out of a challenge between he and Tolkien. There are three books and if you're a scifi fan, they're a must-read.

@Sarah Thanks! I do love Harry. I'll look for your 10!

@Sarah (also) I had a REALLY hard time narrowing it down, I tell you! These were the stand-out favorites.

@Jenny Agreed! It was a lot harder than I thought to only pick ten. I had no idea how attached to so many series I was.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!