topbella

Thursday 29 September 2011

Review: Torment by Lauren Kate (Fallen #2)

Publisher - Doubleday Children's Books
Publication Date - 30th September 2010
Paperback - 464 pages
Genre - Young Adult/Paranormal Romance

Source - Received from publisher for review

Rating - 4 out of 5: I really liked it

Book Info - How many times must you live before you find someone to die for?

Lucinda is sure that she and Daniel are meant to be together forever. Now, in this sequel to the bestselling Fallen, they are forced apart in a desperate bid to save Luce from The Outcasts – immortals who want her dead. As she discovers more about her past lives Luce starts to suspect that Daniel is hiding something. What if he has lied to her about their shared past? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?

My Thoughts - Although I loved Fallen, I did feel like I had a lot of questions that needed to be answered in Torment. However, they were not answered and I finished this book feeling slightly frustrated. I actually felt as though there were even more unanswered question by the time I had finished this book. Whilst I was reading it I couldn’t help thinking that I would have enjoyed it more if some of it was written from Daniel’s point of view as he is the one with all the knowledge of the situation. But even though I found myself feeling a bit frustrated by the lack of answers, I will still definitely be reading the third book in the series to try and find out more about Daniel and Luce.

However, this was the only negative aspect of the book for me and I did enjoy it a lot overall. I love the chemistry between Luce and Daniel whenever they are together in this book. They often go quickly from overwhelming passion to bickering, and it was this bickering that made their relationship feel more realistic to me – almost as if they really had been together for many years (oh dear, maybe I’ve been married for too long - I’m starting to sound cynical!).

I also loved Luce’s character in Torment. Although Luce feels as though her and Daniel are supposed to be together she doesn’t just accept it and she actually has to ask herself a lot of questions about the way she really feels about him and what she wants from life. This made Luce seem very mature and realistic as I would have had trouble believing that a young girl would just accept at face value that she is supposed to be with a guy that she has only known (in this lifetime, at least) for five minutes. Luce is also very brave and likable.

The students and teachers at Shoreline also make for interesting reading, with two of my favourites being the teachers Steven and Francesca. They are a couple but they are also both fallen angels who have chosen different sides in the battle, with Steven becoming a demon. They help Luce to realise that the lines between good and evil can be very blurred, which does help her to understand Daniel and his situation a little better.

Summary - Torment is written in a way that instantly drags you into the story and keeps your attention throughout. There is a good balance between romance, friendship and action with lots of great characters. Anybody who enjoyed Fallen will love this one too, but I would advise that you don’t try reading Torment if you haven’t read the first book in the series as you could find yourself getting very confused.

Other books in the series:
1. Fallen
2. Torment
3. Passion
3.5. Fallen in Love
4. Rapture

Other reviews of this book:
Feeling Fictional
(If you would like your review of Torment included here, please leave a link in the comments and I will be sure to add it)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!