topbella

Thursday 22 September 2011

Review: Fallen by Lauren Kate (Fallen #1)

Publisher - Doubleday Children's Books
Publication Date - 10th December 2009
Paperback - 464 pages
Genre - Young Adult/Paranormal Romance

Source - Library

Rating - 3 out of 5: I liked it

Book Info - There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.
Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce – and goes out of his way to make that very clear – she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret… even if it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page turning thriller and the ultimate love story.

My Thoughts - I immediately fell in love with the cover of this novel – I just thought it was gorgeous. Once I opened the book and started reading, I couldn’t stop. It really gripped my attention and the mystery of Daniel and Luce’s past had me speeding through the pages longing for answers.

I really liked Luce’s character and felt she was well written and believable. However, I would have liked to have learnt a little bit more about Daniel as I felt there was a bit too much mystery surrounding him. I really liked the other characters too and was surprised by the twist at the end involving all the students and teachers of Sword & Cross.

I was slightly disappointed by the ending though as I felt there were just too many unanswered questions surrounding Luce and Daniel. I realise that this is in preparation for the sequel but I still think that a little bit more could have been revealed.

Summary - Despite these reservations about the book, I still really enjoyed Fallen and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series!

Other books in the series:
1. Fallen
2. Torment
3. Passion
3.5. Fallen in Love
4. Rapture

Other reviews of this book:
Annette's Book Spot / Book Chick City / Feeling Fictional / Turn the PageWilling to See Less / YA Reads
(If you would like your review of Fallen included here, please leave a link in the comments and I will be sure to add it)

3 comments:

Chrissie (Once Upon a Series) said...

Thanks Shelagh! You should give them a try. You never know - you might like them ;)

Ivana said...

I read Fallen beginning 2010, I had some issues with it, but not a deadly sin :) Here's my review http://willingtoseeless.blogspot.com/2010/01/review-fallen-by-lauren-kate.html

Interesting, you liked Luce, I couldn't really connect with her. I like more active characters, but I guess that's just a matter of tastes :)

Chrissie (Once Upon a Series) said...

Thanks Ivana, I've included a link to your review :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!