topbella

Tuesday 6 September 2011

Review: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games #2)

Publisher - Scholastic
Publication Date - 7th September 2009
Paperback - 480 pages
Genre - YA Dystopian

Source - Purchased

Rating - 4 out of 5: really liked it!

Book Info - After winning the brutal Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen returns to her district, hoping for a peaceful future. But Katniss starts to hear rumours of a deadly rebellion against the Capitol. A rebellion that she and Peeta have helped to create. As Katniss and Peeta are forced to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. Unless Katniss and Peeta can convince the world that they are still lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying...

My Thoughts - Catching Fire starts a few months after the events of The Hunger Games. I felt that the first half of this book really lacked the drive and momentum of the first book, and I had trouble engaging with the characters and the storyline. However, the second half of the book really picks up speed and I found myself completely gripped once again.

There are some great new characters that I really enjoyed reading about and I fell in love with Katniss all over again. There is a lot of intrigue and double-crossing in this book which adds a whole new layer of interest. Along with Katniss, the reader has trouble knowing who can be trusted in the rebellion.

The cliffhanger at the end is huge and I have to say that I am very grateful that I waited until all the books in the series had been released so that I can start Mockingjay straight away.

Summary - Although it got off to a slow start, Catching Fire is a great installment to an amazing series.

Other Books in the series:
1. The Hunger Games
2. Catching Fire
3. Mockingjay

Other reviews of this book:
Becky's Book Reviews / Bookalicious Ramblings / Book Smugglers / Caroline Bookbinder / Persnickety Snark / Presenting Lenore
(If you would like your review of Catching Fire included here, please leave a link in the comments and I will be sure to add it)

3 comments:

Rockee said...

I sooo need to read this series. Sigh. So many books, so little time.

Chrissie (Once Upon a Series) said...

Lol, I know that feeling! There are just so many series I want to start that sometimes I don't have a clue where to begin!

Thanks for stopping by :)

Anonymous said...

love love love book ah cant wait til movie
and may the odds be in your favor

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Bloggers...

Maddie sometimes guest blogs here!